Call: 860-258-3470
Related Articles

When Women Should Seek Care From a Urologist

Some people may think that a urologist is only for men. However, urologists specialize in urinary and reproductive systems and can provide valuable advice to help women make well-informed decisions relating to their health.

Here are some pointers on when women should consider seeking the care of a urologist:

Frequent Urinary Incontinence

Incontinence is the inability to control your urinary functions. Over 25 million Americans suffer from some sort of urinary incontinence, and, of that, 75-80% are women. 1 in 4 women over age 18 experience episodes of leaking urine involuntarily. If you find you are wearing a sanitary pad with frequency, are avoiding sex for fear of leakage, or are finding that incontinence is interfering with your daily life, a urologist can help. A urologist can help determine the root cause and create a customized treatment plan.

Recurring Urinary Tract Infections

Almost all women will experience a urinary tract infection (UTI) at some point in their lives. If you have a UTI for the first time, consult your primary care doctor. Most of the time, simple antibiotics can be used to treat the issue. While cases of urinary tract infections are common among women and can be treated with antibiotics and other measures, recurring UTIs are a sign of a larger issue. If you experience multiple UTIs in a single year, you will want to see a urologist who can diagnose the issue through a culture test, kidney scans, and other measures. Chronic UTIs can cause multiple complications, including premature delivery of babies and sepsis, an inflammatory issue that can be painful and even life threatening.

Kidney Stones

Small kidney stones that don’t block your kidney or cause other problems can be treated by your primary care doctor. But, if you have a large kidney stone and experience severe pain or kidney problems, your doctor may refer you a urologist.  Treatment depends on the type of stone, how bad it is, and the length of time you have had symptoms. There are a number of different treatments options and a urologist will be able to counsel you on the best approach.

Bladder Discomfort

While a mild discomfort in your bladder warrants a trip to your primary care doctor, ongoing pain in your bladder may require a trip to a urologist. Internal cystitis is one of the most common causes for pain in the bladder, but an expert urologist should be able to diagnose the issue and help you find relief. If the pain in your bladder is so severe that it keeps you from being active or even causes you to miss work, a trip to your urologist may be recommended.

The Urology Team at Starling Physicians understands the needs of women and can help you find relief.  Drs. Cooper, Stein, Goode and Ceplenski provide exceptional care in New Britain, Newington, and Southington. Also, Dr. Cooper is now providing care in Farmington at 11 South Road.

Call (860) 826-4453 to schedule a visit.

(function(d){ var s = d.createElement("script"); /* uncomment the following line to override default position*/ /* s.setAttribute("data-position", 3);*/ /* uncomment the following line to override default size (values: small, large)*/ /* s.setAttribute("data-size", "small");*/ /* uncomment the following line to override default language (e.g., fr, de, es, he, nl, etc.)*/ /* s.setAttribute("data-language", "language");*/ /* uncomment the following line to override color set via widget (e.g., #053f67)*/ /* s.setAttribute("data-color", "#053e67");*/ /* uncomment the following line to override type set via widget (1=person, 2=chair, 3=eye, 4=text)*/ /* s.setAttribute("data-type", "1");*/ /* s.setAttribute("data-statement_text:", "Our Accessibility Statement");*/ /* s.setAttribute("data-statement_url", "")";*/ /* uncomment the following line to override support on mobile devices*/ /* s.setAttribute("data-mobile", true);*/ /* uncomment the following line to set custom trigger action for accessibility menu*/ /* s.setAttribute("data-trigger", "triggerId")*/ s.setAttribute("data-account", "rigqDXJs77"); s.setAttribute("src", ""); (d.body || d.head).appendChild(s);})(document) Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility (function($){ if ($('body').hasClass('postid-7460')){ $('#physician-meta a').append(' (adults only)'); } })(jQuery)